By: Mark Friese, SHS Principal
SHS Looking Back to Move Forward.
Hello SHS families. We hope that you are enjoying your summer. We have been very busy preparing for the upcoming school year.An important part of preparation is reflection on what has been accomplished.In this case, it is what we as a school community have accomplished.I would like to take the opportunity to share some of the success from last school year:
- SHS Class of 2015 received over 4 million dollars of scholarship and academic assistance for our seniors to attending college.
- 75% of the senior class was accepted into either a 2-year or 4-year college.Stonington students will be represented at institutions such as Cornell University in the prestigious Ivy League, Duke University, United States Coast Guard Academy, ROTC Programs, and many other institutions throughout the United States.We have students attending school to become doctors, nurses, business majors, heating and air conditioning technicians, engineers and culinary specialists. Our students are pursuing virtually every category of occupation.
- 39% of the senior class has taken at least one AP test.Overall, 81% of SHS students that took an AP test have earned a 3 or better. This means colleges could award credit based on the learning they gained here at SHS.Our scores are impressive as compared to only 73% of students in Connecticut and 61% globally earned a 3 or better.
- Our performing arts have been equally astounding. Two blockbuster performances, which garnered 13 Halo nominations, the high school version of the Academy Awards.One of our students won the Best Actor award. The Concert Band played to a packed house with a professional Beatles Tribute band and literally rocked the SHS Auditorium.
- We continue to have around 75% of the student body participate in athletic activities.Our student athletes are equally successful on the fields as they are in the classroom. Last year we were ECC Champs in the following sports: Boys and Girls Cross Country, Girls Soccer, Field Hockey, Swim, Girls Tennis, and Girls Lacrosse.Additionally, there were many All-Conference and All-State award winners representing the various teams.
- Finally, our commitment to the world and community are equally impressive.The Students without Borders packed 10,000 meals for families in Africa. The Interact Club made baskets for children at Hartford’s Children’s Hospital.A growing Gay/Straight Alliance hosted its second Annual Pride Jam for all students.
These are significant accomplishments for a school of 744 students.What allows our students to achieve year in and year out is the continuous support of our community.There is great pride being a Stonington Bear.The students hear that as they come up through the various schools. When they enter high school they know great things are expected of them and the support to reach their goals is in place.For that, we at Stonington High School thank you! We expect next year to be even better!See you around campus!
Teacher of the Year 2016