Welcome Letter from Principal
We are very excited to start the 2021-22 school year! Throughout the COVID 19 pandemic, we have been amazed at the growth and resiliency our students displayed. While the pandemic is continuing to present challenges, we are very optimistic that this upcoming school year will be a success. To help ensure this school year is a success we are focusing on providing a safe and nurturing environment where all students demonstrate academic and social emotional growth. Here is a rundown of our focus areas:
- We will continue to closely follow guidance that is issued out from the Stonington Public Schools, Ledge Light Health District, and State of Connecticut in regards to addressing issues related to COVID 19.
- All students and staff will be required to wear face masks to prevent the spread of germs.
- Social distancing will be promoted throughout the school day.
- Outdoor masks breaks will be regularly taken throughout the school day
*District COVID 19 policies will be revisited on a regular basis based on changes and needs.
Providing a Nurturing Environment
- Social Emotional Learning and Mental Health will continue to be a focus to help students continue to build resiliency, manage emotions, develop empathy skills, and be kind to others. While classroom teachers will incorporate social emotional learning throughout the school day, we will continue to use the Second Step Program to develop some of these skills.
- Focus on building school community. Historically, DMS has a very strong school community and we want to build upon that. We will look for safe, thoughtful activities we can implement throughout the year to engage our students in their learning while having fun. We want every student to feel connected to their peers and the staff at DMS.
- Continue to promote the DMS WISH, bucket filling, and hold school wide challenges to reward positive behavior.
- Due to shifts in the instructional model over the past two years, we recognize that there is some unfinished learning. We are committed to accelerate learning for ALL students.
- We will closely collaborate with all stakeholders to carefully plan out instruction to address learning needs and ensure students possess key academic skills.
- We will continue to carefully analyze classroom and benchmark data to inform instruction and target specific learning areas for students.
Lastly, we will ask for your continued support as partners in your child’s education. We are lucky to have such amazing families at Deans Mill School. We look forward to a successful year of learning and growing together!
Jenn & Tom
Jennifer L. McCurdy, Principal | Thomas J. Bousquet, Assistant Principal