A Message from Superintendent, Van Riley
Welcome to the 2017-2018 School Year!
September 5, 2017
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year! Where did the summer go? I hope this coming year is positive and productive for your child.
We continue to strive to improve our programs for students at all levels. In addition, we will improve our communication with you through our new web sites, telephone alerts, electronic communications, and regular mail service. Check out our websites at www.stoningtonschools.org. Keeping strong two-way communications is one of our top goals for this year.
Important information for this coming school year…
- At the request of our construction management firm, the first day of school is Tuesday, September 5 the day after Labor Day holiday weekend. This later start will allow for the initial phases of construction at our two elementary school sites.
- If you have a minute, please drive by Deans Mill or West Vine Street schools. Construction on the additions and renovations began in June and will continue for the next 18 months. Elementary students will return to the old buildings for this year while the new additions are completed. Next summer we plan to move into the new sections and then begin full renovation on the current two story buildings. We certainly look forward to completion by January 2019.
- Stonington High School just received notice that the New England Association of Schools and Colleges voted to award continued accreditation for Stonington High School. This is the result of approximately two years of work that included an extensive self-study and a visit by 16 educators last March. This process provides Stonington High School with valuable insight and recommendations that we will be implementing to improve the teaching and learning in Stonington far into the future.
- Beginning this school year all students in grades 6, 7, and 8 will be issued a Chromebook. More information on this technology update will be provided at Back-To-School Night.
- We continue to partner with some of our local notable programs including Mystic Seaport, Mystic Aquarium, Stonington Community Center (COMO), New England Science and Sailing (NESS), Ocean Community Chamber, Greater Mystic Chamber, and Stonington Non-Profits Association.
Again, welcome to the 2017-2018 school year. I look forward to seeing you at various school events and hope your child has a wonderful year in the Stonington Public School District.
WE BELIEVE IN YOU!
Stonington Public Schools:
*developing responsible citizens*
*preparing for tomorrow’s opportunities*
Stonington Public Schools – where we believe in all students. Through partnerships with family and community, we will provide an innovative and inspirational educational environment where students succeed with confidence and develop a love of life-long learning.
49 N. Stonington Rd.
Old Mystic, CT 06372Telephone: (860) 572-0506
Administrative AssistantStonington Public Schools
PO Box 479
49 N. Stonington Rd.
Old Mystic, CT 06372
Telephone: (860) 572-0506 x2115
Archived Monthly Messages:
June 2017 - More Than Academics
November 2014 - The Character of Our Students
October 2014 - Message from SEF
September 2014 - Message from MMS Principal, Greg Keith
August 2014 - Stonington Superstars
July 2014 - Summer Explorations
June 2014 - Stonington High School Community
May 2014 - Final Budget Recommendation
April 2014 - Budget Recommendation to Board of Education
March 2014 - Focus on Student Success
July 11, 2013 - School Safety Community Letter